Friday, May 25, 2012

IML - Friday

Friday I was up at 6am to head over to Home Depot. I knew what I wanted, and I was so glad that Home Depot does cutting for you as well. I took a taxi, got what I needed and some colourful duct tape to attract attention, and then got back to the hotel. Tarsus and I did our traditional breakfast run first, followed by Starbucks where I picked up my emergency sandwich, and then we started construction.

Everything seemed to go well, and I had enough time to get a bellhop to bring a cart and get all my items down to the setup area for the bootblacks. I was definitely nervous and excited about doing boots, and really not sure about how fast I needed to go. As I was setting up, I got to meet Fuzzybuns who was next to me. As contestant #1, I was set to the left of the raised stage they had provided us. My mini-bootstand was built and named Tankenstini.

We had a short huddle and were presented with our contestant medals. It was a great moment just for ourselves. And then the boots started.

We were in charge of our own lists and how we handled people who wanted their boots done - if they didn't have a ballot, we could decide to take them or not, but were cautioned if we didn't that could have some repercussions.  I just took everyone, and asked them to get their friends to vote instead.

First shine is also arranged ahead of time with folks who come from IMsL, and mine was Leland from San Fransisco (and Portland). There were some quick pictures taken and then we were going to move onto people who wanted their boots done. As Leland was getting off the stand, my stand broke. The front holding the foot rests just fell forward.

This was when I realised that something that looked neater, was not necessarily the best engineering job. Despite muddling through the blurred day of boots after boots and repairs - I had to do something different to fix it, but had to wait until the next day to do so. In 7 hrs I was able to get through 24 pairs of boots and remembered to eat food and drink water between people so as not to be exhausted afterwards.

After we counted our days ballots, we had to get ready to be introduced on stage for the first night of the contest, and then we were released. I was invited to hang out with my fellow contestant Mike and his friends - and a riotously good time was had. Another barely clothed party and meeting and greeting people later, and it was time for bed again. Wow - what a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment