Sunday, May 27, 2012

IML - Sunday

Today was our final day of doing boots and we were all so glad for that. It was a much shorter amount of time, and we also had to take a formal picture before hand - so there was a lot of quick changing going on before we got started.

I added some red duct tape to Tankenstini just for some extra snazz, and then I flew. I got through 21 pairs in the 4 hours we had. Almost the same as the first day when I had 7 hours. Much faster this time. I had more people coming by saying they had watched me all three days, and then voted for me without getting anything done. That was very gratifying. And then it was over. We stopped, counted our final ballots, and then just hung around a little shell shocked packing up our kits.

I was not going to take my stand home. He had served me well, but it was time to let him go back into the wild. After checking with security that we could leave it by the trash bins - I removed the stanchions and we dropped him off behind us. I packed my kit, turned, and he was gone. I was astonished at how fast that happened. I did get a report that Mexican ninjas were seen carting him away, so I hope he found a better place.

Then I actually had a break. One in which I could eat food without rushing, and soak in the tub and even a small nap. That felt so good. And yet, it wasn't over. Now we had to go through the bits about who won, and the big show for the Mr. Leather contestant as well. Sharon McKnight was hilarious, and John Pendal and Karen Ultra were fantastic as well. We got through to some great speeches by the Mr. Leather contestants and then it came to us.

I wasn't tremendously nervous. I felt I did a great job being social and friendly, and also making sure my fellow class mates were doing OK. We were paraded on stage and introduced one last time before they announced the winner and runners up. Earlier in the day we had all voted on which bootblack we personally liked best or thought exemplified bootblacking - the brotherhood award. That was up first and I won. It meant a tremendous amount to me to get that from my fellow bootblacks. I also had a moment of relief too, as historically the winner of that award was not the one who won the title.

Then I also won the title. I was truly shocked. After a whirlwind of photos being taken we were whisked into the back office to sit and be in a quiet place. We were headed to a victory party at the House of Blues and needed to change - so we were ushered through the hotel and into the service elevator area, being cock blocked along the way. It felt very Rock Star and also a little intimidating. After a quick change and a ride in a stretch limo - we got into the club which was a renovated theater with box seats. I was also able to bring one person with me and I asked Boy Dave to come with. I wanted him to share the experience as well.

Myself, the Mr. Leather winner Woody Woodruff, and first and second runners up Kevin and AC Demidont were introduced on stage, and had to dance for a song or so before going off to enjoy ourselves. Truly overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment