Thursday, May 24, 2012

IML - Thursday

We would walk past this every day
Thursday started a new tradition for Tarsus and I - we would walk down the street to Houlihans, get a buffet breakfast, then head over to a nearby Starbucks to get good coffee and my emergency sandwich for after I had finished doing boots. This gave us both time to wake up, connect with each other, and get a little exercise away from the hotel.

Jim only laces his boots on busesToday though was time for the bootblacks to hang out. At first we had a trip to I. Sachs and Son - a local supplier of all things bootblacks might want (also known locally as Bootblack Heaven), and then later a brunch to get to meet other contestants and friends.  In another small world example, one of the ladies who came with us is good friends with my boyfriend - we've seen each others blogs for about ten years, but never met. Hurray! We met up with everyone going and took a bus to our destination.

Dad and Grandad share a cupcakeIt was all it was purported to be - shelves of stuff everywhere. Polish, brushes, laces, creams, liquids and all sorts of products I'd never seen. A whole floor of leather hides and another with boot soles. It smelled great. I was able to pick up a few things I may have needed, and some things I didn't know anything about so I could learn about it. On he way back I picked up an all important case of water for the weekend.

Then it was time for the bootblacks (and pals) afternoon lunch. We met again at Houlihans and chatted and met each other and ate food. I was able to meet some of the other contestants here as well - boy dave from NC, and piglet who I already knew. Bootblack Mike from MN and Fuzzybuns was still delayed on a train but would arrive shortly afterwards. We had some delicious food, and then Tim brought out some cupcakes for desert. We had to feed them to each other in a special way.

After lunch we all headed our separate ways and I was able to start taking stock of what I had from the trip, and also what I needed to prepare for Friday. It was then I realised something horrific - two crucial 2x4's were not in my stand bag. This would not do at all. Thankfully, after some googling, I located a Home Depot not 3 miles from the hotel and vowed to enjoy my evening, and go in the morning to get the supplies I needed.

Thats me - outside the Leather Archoves & MuseumFirst though, we had our first mandatory meeting of the weekend, it was our introduction to each other, and our co-ordinators. We went over some paperwork, and how the contest piece would be run. They were very clear about what was allowed and what was not, and it was up to us to educate people, and also handle our list of people wanting a shine. We also drew contestant numbers in a very secret and special way I will not divulge - but I drew contestant number 1.

After that, it was off on the shuttle bus the Leather Archives & Museum.

Tonight was a roast of the outgoing title holders, Jim Deuder for IMBB, and Eric Gutierrez for IML. The Leather archives were selling tickets for the theatre hey had inside, but were sold out when we got there. However, they did have free seating on a first come basis on the sides of the theatre - and they were still really good seats. It was great way to mingle with folks and work some of my social magic. We also got to look around about half of the museum too, which was really awesome - but sadly didn't take any pictures.

After an hour of amusement, it was back to the hotel and some well deserved rest - but I did get to sit next to one of the other IML contestants on the shuttle ride back - Mr Oklahoma Leather and we chatted very comfortably.

No comments:

Post a Comment