Wednesday, May 23, 2012

IML - Wednesday

One of the best things about flying on Southwest, was two bags up to 50lbs each flying for free. This allowed me to take a small boot stand, for use on a stage riser - and a regular bag with kit and clothes. I spent a good month or two designing and building the mini stand ( called Tankenstini ), and then being able to pack it into a large green army duffel bag. I made an aesthetic choice about recessing the top plate, because it looked cooler. Note: Always TEST your stands in working conditions.


I was able to get everything I needed into the two bags, bringing a cordless power drill and screws, and just in case a hammer and nails. I weighed in at just 50lbs for each bag. Awesome.

Flying was pretty smooth - makes it a lot easier when taking direct flights too, and there were plentiful taxis just waiting to go. I checked in after getting a bell hop to take things to my room and I just sat. Took a deep breath in and out, and then unpacked necessary items.

My roommate for the weekend was my sash brother Tarsus. He was also running for the IML title, and had arrived earlier that day. They were somewhere else having a welcome and introduction dinner, and after a quick call to him, he invited me down to eat with them. One quick change later and another taxi ride and I was meeting a lot of the contestants for the IML title, and eating some wonderful Minestrone soup.

I sat next to Angel - Mr Chicago Leather, and then his partner arrived who I had met the month earlier at a conference for work of all things. I was later told this was meeting someone in a muggle context for the Harry Potter fans amongst you. We chatted and ate, and then headed out to Touche's - a local gay/leather bar.

The bar was quite crowded, and full of men being their sexy selves. The contestants introduced themselves on a mic and there was lots of cheering. I stayed for a drink or two, and toured the back half of the bar, with a walled in black room. Imagine chain link fence, lined with black plastic - and there's a small entrance and exit. I won't say what happened back there, but I did take time out to sample some of the local fare. Hmmmm - hairy men and leather indeed. Unfortunately I had to leave, and was able to get back to the hotel on one of the shuttles laid on for the weekend, and sadly I was alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment